Tuesday 20 July 2010

Sophia De Mello Breyner

I found a note in one of my poetry anthologies for Sophia De Mello Breyner. It only said her name. It was a reminder just to read the two poems of her in that book, which I did back in 2006 or 2007 or whenever it was I made the note.

She was a Portuguese poet. She wrote these beautiful poems, which were usually quite short but powerful. They had these perfect one-liners that were quite brilliant, burning a poingiant thought in you, leaving you with a feeling not so dissimilar to sad, but with a certain power to it, as well.

I never knew she's died in 2004. A year before I was even in Uni. I only found out today. The one poem that sticks with me is Inscription.

Inscription

When I die I will return to seek
The moments I did not live by the sea.

Sophia De Mello Breyner

No comments: