Thursday 19 August 2010

Time Out of Mind

I have been listening to Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind recently, although it wasn't up there with my favourites including Blonde on Blonde, Bringing it all Back Home, Highway 61, Times They Are A-Changin', and John Wesley Harding. I stuck by his 1963-67 era music mostly.
Having listened to his later albums, and loving the blues sound to them,
indicating how much he has become his original idols of blues music, I wasn't as inclined to Modern Times and Love and Theft. (Though Together Through Life is a keeper). As I began listening to the haunting gruff voice of a love-sick man, I kept listening to it over and over. It's not a sad album per se but one of perspective and nonchalance.
I kept listening to Love Sick ("I'm sick of love, and I'm in the thick of it,
this kind of love, I'm so sick of it"), Standing in the Doorway, and Highlands, the latter being the only 16 minute song I can listen to all the way through 5 times in a row.
I suppose it's one of those albums that will keep you going because it's full
of words you're thinking, but not hearing so well. I'd love to get in that big mind of his, unfortunately I'm stuck in mine.

No comments: