Sunday, 2 November 2014

A Return at the End of 2014

It's been a long time coming, writing on this blog, I don't know where I've been to be honest. It seems difficult to live your life and then write about it, but then there's the life of the writer anyway. I last posted in January last year. What have I done since? Not that I can remember 2013, but I think the key points would be:

Got my first car
Met my girlfriend
Decided to become a teacher
Didn't get on the teaching course
Finished my novel

Gave up driving (expensive)
Got a placement at a school
Got quite a few rejections for my novel

It's just things like this that makes me wonder what it means to write a book. I mean everyone has good and bad experiences and so have I, especially this year, and still it is hard to write. My novel, Magpie, which I spent two years writing has come to an end and surely there must be more I can do to make it better. But surely there must be something else I can write. I get ideas and yet I can't for the life of me write more than a lazy sentence, get angry and quit.

I might try self-publishing. I never really wanted to do that. I don't know why, I just wanted to do it the old-fashioned way and get an actual book. But I've read about success stories of people self-publishing and then getting an agent soon after and being published the old-fashioned way anyway. If I do this I'm not publishing Magpie. I'll publish one of my two short novels or the novel I wrote as part of my dissertaion on my MA. It's just being tentative and not diving in, in case I ruin it.

I have another website: http://mjdholloway.wordpress.com/

I made this to look like a proper writer. More professional. I even have a twitter account now: Twitter.




I also met Irvine Welsh earlier this year:








No comments: